Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sexting

After reading the article of "Parents sue school for role in 'sexting' tragedy" in which the parents of Jessica Logan blame school officials and peers for their daughter's suicide, I realized the wrongness in sexting. Before this article, I hadn't heard much about sexting because I haven't have experiences related to it, nor the people around me. I knew there were cases in which heartless and immoral people made use of sexting to harm others but I hadn't put much attention to it. I used to think how stupid some girls can be in sending nude pictures of themselves. Now that I put more thought into it, these girls trusted their boyfriends and it is definitely not fair what was done to them. I think these guys showed cowardice and plain meanness in what they did. Poor Jessica Logan ended committing suicide because she was unable to stand people's bullying and harrasment due to her nude picture that was sent all over. I felt compassionate towards Jessica's situation and feel totally against sexting.
I support the decision of Jessica's parents suing the school. Jessica confronted the people who harassed her and tried to take measures to make them stop. She talked with the school officials, the school counselors and even shared her story with the public. Nevertheless, despite all her efforts, people continued to bother her mercilessly. I think it was pathetic what a police officer said, that there were no security measures to protect her because she was 18. I totally believe schools should take more control about it and make it stop. It would be horrible for your provacy to be violated in that way, and have no control over it. I think it is wrong to take someone else's phone and check it, but I feel it is necessary in cases like this.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, you are an excellent writer. What would you say to someone who says that the blame falls on Jessica for putting the images "out there" and not on the school for not reacting to them effectively?

    i think your article shows a great deal of thought.

    who's responsible for teaching teens about the dangers of sharing images or personal information on the internet? House or School?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mr. Mark!

    If someone says that the blame was Jessica's I would say she did have fault but it was minimum. It was very stupid of her to pass naked pictures to the boyfriend but it was the boyfriend's fault to violate the trust given to him. This falls also into the guy's moral and ethic values because Jessica trusted him and it was supposed to be something between just the two of them.

    I believe both house and school should warn teenagers about the dangers of sharing images and personal information. The problem is that not all parents and teachers are aware of this problem because all of the new technology stuff is recent and new, so not everyone knows about it.

    ReplyDelete

My Love <3

My Love <3