Thursday, September 3, 2009

Is Social Media a Fad?

We just saw a youtube video called Social Media Revolution. It contained extremely impacting stuff that makes you realize how advanced we are in technology. It is simply amazing how our world has gone so far regarding social networking. It has developed with such a velocity its just unbelievably scary. Social networking has reached so many millions of people globally; what a way of connecting our world together.

I am tremendously involved in social media. I have joined a number of social networks (Facebook, Myspace, etc) these past years and I use the Internet every single day. I confess I can't be in a computer without opening Messenger or Facebook. Also Google, Yahoo and Youtube have conquered my daily life. I confess I even watch movies and soap operas via Internet. I also have numerous e-mail accounts and have joined all sorts of web pages. In the present day, I feel as if life would not be the same without Internet; it has become a necessity.

There are countless advantages and benefits in social media but there are also many dangers involved. Hackers and criminals also have access to Internet and use it unwisely and in harmful ways. There have been incidents in which people steal money through Internet, find personal information about people, kidnap them and more. I can protect myself by not going to doubtful sites and places that seem unsafe, and not giving my personal information anywhere I don't trust. Also in my social networks, particularly Messenger, I'd protect myself by not accepting or adding anyone I don't personally know. Our education should definitely be modernized in order to help us be prepared for this world that's dominated by so much social media.


3 comments:

  1. Erika: Your post was excellent. I like how you are truly involved in Social Media through various networks. I also like the fact that you are aware of the multiple dangers, and that you know of how to protect yourself from them. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erika! You did a good job at puting your personal opinion. I also liked that you put the negatives and positive about the social media. I think that you understand that this is part of your life. You have explain the impact that this has in the new generation of people. I think you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. not a suggestion - but a real question:

    how long do you think you could go without using the internet?
    how long do you think the senior class could go without using the internet?
    how long do you think you (and the class) could go without checking facebook?

    really....

    ReplyDelete

My Love <3

My Love <3